PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Monday 3 January 2011

Santa's Elves at the NEC

Santa sent his Elves with me when my decoupage crafting friend Julie (a Quilter - she's a whizz with any kind of sewing/needlework but Quilting is her speciality) & I went to the NEC last November. Santa was so delighted with what his Elves brought back for him to put down the chimney & Julie (without whose driving there would have been no trip) so amused at how I could get utterly absorbed in the Derwent stand & a box of pencils that this post came about, initially at Santa's request.



So, the full set of 120 Derwent Artists Pencils. These, as far as I understand, are the British equivalent of the USA Sanford Prismacolor Pencils. Both have wax as the binder & according to Gildow & Newton's "Colored Pencil Solution Book" the Derwents differ in that: they are of medium hardness rather than soft; the lead & pencil diameters are slightly larger (1mm max);  there is no blender pencil;  they are sold presharpened.  I sat last night happily making myself a colour chart.

(click on photos to enlarge)

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

OMG WOW what an awesome set i can totally see why you got excited this is a mega set i love it and can't wait to see you using them gosh there must be heaps of different shades i hope your enjoying your pressie xx

Annie said...

I am drooling .. .. now those elves deserve extra cookies and cocoa!
hugs, annie x

PS
I have Polychromos by Faber Castel - not sure what the base is - oil or wax? do you know? mind you, since the copics I've not used them much at all.

Deborah Frings said...

Paula - these are brilliant. When we went to the Lake District on holiday, we visited the Derwent factory - it's an amazing place - you'd love it!! The family weren't convinced at first, but they loved it. These are lovely pencils - all the better as they come ready sharpened. My prismas have to be done by hand!!

xxxtglxxx said...

Hi Paula :)

Finally I managed to sort out my 'comment' problem - but I had to clear all cookies in my pc to re-enable it.. tut :)

Anyway, fantastic pencils - Im sure you are thrilled with them and cant wait to start using them. I am so impressed you have already done a colour chart - I am NO WAY that organised! LOL.

I usually do a swatch test for every project with involves me sitting trying out every pen before I colour. I should really do as you have done. It might be my new years resolution!

Cant wait to see what you do with them, but most of all have fun!

hugs

xxalisonxx

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you over your new "toy". I love your color chart. What fun you must have choosing what goodies to color with!!! What a fantastic case they come in too!!