PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Monday 16 May 2011

MCC Colouring 101 Wk 3 - Skin, Sky & Sea........

......with all manner of pencils.

I struggled rather with the flowing hair style so decided to concentrate on the facial shading.

Image (Elusive Images UA5SP0340 Belle of the Ball) stamped with 
Memories Black Dye Ink & coloured with Derwent Coloursoft pencils

Top image copyright Glenda Waterworth
Bottom Image as detailed

I have had a set of 36 Derwent Pastel Pencils for a couple of years (they have an older numbering system than the current one) but not known how to use them. Their chalky consistency had floored me & I neither  realised they could be blended with paper stumps nor that combining their use with other types of pencils would allow some really detailed work.

I decided to attempt this lighthouse scene (which I'd unsuccessfully tried to colour previously) using the pastel pencils with the Coloursoft pencils for the more detailed work & blending with a dry paper stump. The edges are inked with Weathered Wood & Black Soot Distress Inks.

Image (Elusive Images UA5SP0260 Seashore Scene) stamped with Memories Black Dye Ink

(click on all images to enlarge)

8 comments:

Donalda said...

Hon you are doing a wonderful job. I so love the coloring so much. I have the pencils too but am no good at it. But you sure have it nailed dear. Hugs

xxxtglxxx said...

These are looking fabulous Paula :) You are so good for sticking at this, and approach it with a very committed and logical style.

Love the facial colouring, and the lighthouse picture really looks amazing.

hugs

xxalisonxx

Lorraine said...

OH WOW this is practically photos your colouring is amazing with these pencils i am so proud of you and a little jealous lol only joking i love you you know that.The tones in the face with the rosy cheeks and all look amazing you have done an amazing job you should be so proud of yourself hun xx

Deborah Frings said...

Oh wow - Paula the faces are beautiful!! I really do think I'm going to have to do this course. I think you've nailed the hair too.


And the lighthouse card - magnificent. Great work!

GinaA said...

The lady with the flowers in her hair is my favourite. Hair shading is tricky isn't it! i am still not there with light direction either. Colour blending on the faces is really good.
The lighthouse stamp is very detailed, it must have taken you ages, using the distressed ink around the edges gives it all a great frame.

brenda said...

I can see you are really getting into your turorials Paula and what fabulous shares here today.

I so love the lighthouse scene, very much my sort of thing, but the colouring of the images and hair is superb.

Afraid this is a long overdue catch up, it is becoming very tiresome still having to limit screen time, but as my Granny always said, patience is a virtue but I don't seem to have too much.

Hope all is well with you.

B x

PCM said...

Your faces look SO real - you have done a wonderful job on the shading. Thanks so much for sharing your learning lessons.

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

Your doing a wonderful job with your coloring. The faces and hair are very realistic looking. I admire your approach to learning your craft. :)