PEP tangles - my Zentangle Inspired Art blog

Friday 27 September 2013

Colour Challenge with Penny Black

Trying to keep my craft room & the whole property tidy for potential buyers to view means that I'm scraping in at the last moment with my creation for one of the Penny Black colour challenges (Day 5).

front of card 
close-up showing fussy cutting detail  plus
 sparkle of glittered flower-centre
close-up showing Distress Inks
watercolouring 
 inside of card 
close-up showing tone-on-tone stamping &
inked edges of message panel

The poinsettia images were stamped twice in Distress Ink using the masking technique & watercoloured using a combination of Distress Stain & Marker. These were then cut out & mounted onto the background which had been stamped with the same image. Gold Ice Ice Stickles was mixed with Golden Rod Stickles to create the flower-centre as the Golden Rod by itself proved rather brassy.

Recipe
Stamps Penny Black 40-075 christmas pride (front of card) & 30-057 winter whites & green (message panel images).
Inks VersaFine Onyx Black (tone on tone background) & Vintage Sepia (message panel images); Barn Door Distress Ink & Stain (poinsettia image); Vintage Photo Distress Ink (edging message panel).
Pencils/Markers etc... Barn Door Distress Marker; Ice Stickles Glitter Glue (Gold Ice) & Stickles Glitter Glue (Golden Rod). 
Cardstock Winsor & Newton Cotman 190gsm Cold Pressed/NOT Grain Fin Watercolour Paper; white, kraft & brown cardstock from stash.

15 comments:

Sally H said...

OOOh, Paula! That is gorgeous! Love the way it stands out on that black background!

GinaA said...

Super Stylish Paula, always such a detailed step by step explanation. Your colouring of the poinsettia is superb and the touch of bling gives a luxurious Christmas feel to the card. Hope the viewings are going well.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful card Paula, love the poinsettia and the dark background sets off the colouring so well. Great work with the fussy cutting too! Have a great weekend and good luck with viewings. Shirleyx

Aquarius said...

A lovely seasonal card with beautiful colouring. I always think it is such a shame that hobbies and interests have to be tidied and hidden away to attract potential buyers. I feel they should have the imagination to see beyond all that when viewing properties but I suppose the TV makeover programmes have much to answer to in this respect.

Elaine said...

Paula, this is a stunning card. I always love black on cards and the way you have done the tone on tone embossing is the perfect foil for the wonderful statement poinsettias. Your colouring is truly stunning on those flowers, I wish I could achieve such perfect results with my efforts! A really beautiful card and well done to get it finished when you have so much else to deal with. Good job no one is coming to look in my craft space!!!!! Elaine x

jackiescrafts said...

This is a stunning card Paula, the black background really shows the poinsettia off well and I like the sparkly centre too

Jackie x

Jean said...

Paula this is such a lovely elegant card. The beautifully fussy cut and coloured flowers are stunning against the black background.
Jean x

judith@poppy cottage said...

A lovely card Paula, your poinsettia are stunning, and shaded beautifully.The black tone on tone background is really effective as a foil for the focal flowers. The soft interior is so pretty. Very clever to tone down the stickles by mixing two colours. Judith xx

Elaine said...

Paula, this is absolutely breathtaking! I love the beautifully coloured poinsettia's on the black background with just a touch of sparkle.

I think you should frame this and hang it on the wall...it's stunning.

Big hugs to you
Love Elaine xxx

alexandra s.m. said...

Hello dear Paula,
I must say, I agree completely with Elaine, your card is stunning and should be framed! Your stamping is so perfect, the placement so interesting...and I love how vibrant it is! Bravo my Friend!

veronica said...

love this card Paula, very striking

craftimamma said...

Oh my Paula, this is stunning. Your colouring of the poinsettia is quite amazing and such a dramatic effect againsst the black background. I wish I had the patience to make the inside as beautiful as you do.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

PS Your photo in the previous post is gorgeous together with the poetry. Thank you for sharing both Xx

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I don't know how, but I missed this post. I love poinsettia's, and the way you brought out the forefront layer in their bright reds is brilliant. Blessings!

Sally said...

Congrats on your PB win, Paula! Your card is amazing with the rich color against the dramatic black background - just beautiful!

Greta said...

Wow--this is just stunning!